Is your child a mouth breather?
Does he/she have chapped lips, dry mouth, inflamed gum, bloating, snoring, bad breath, anxiety, and/or sleep apnea?
Did you know mouth breathing leads to narrowed jaws, crowded teeth, long face, weak chin, frequent colds and orthodontic relapse?
Dr. Salartash believes in early correction and alignment with non-extraction orthodontics. As form follows function, beautiful smiles originate from proper alignment and function. The best time for skeletal and dental evaluation is at age 6. If your child suffers from teeth grinding and sleep apnea, he or she needs to be evaluated immediately. Timing is Everything! We need to take advantage of the time before puberty growth spurts.
As a parent, you do not want them to become adults with chronic headaches, neck and back pain, TMJ and complicated dental problems that are the life-long result of un-recognized and untreated cranial-dental-facial distortions!
Pay attention to the following sign of cranial-dental-facial deficiencies
- Allergies, mouth breathing, dry lips
- Earaches, recurrent ear infections or stuffiness
- Frequent colds, inflamed tonsils
- Broken nose or head trauma from falls or accidents
- Attention deficit or hyperactivity
- Prolonged struggle in birth canal
- Early years: colicky, spit-ups with feeding
- Forward Head (ear hole ahead of shoulder point in profile)
- Uneven ears or eyes
- Narrow nostrils, deviated nose
- Small (weak) chin
- Slumped posture
- Dry or parched lips
- Deep chin cleft
- “Gummy” smile
- Overly long “horse” face
- Overly broad flat face
- “Fish mouth” lips in profile
- Teeth grinding before age 6
- Thumb sucking persisting
- Open bite (space between upper and lower front teeth for thumb or tongue)
- Crowded or crooked front teeth, upper or lower
- Deep bite (upper front teeth overlaps more than half of lower front teeth)
- Cross bite (when lower teeth are positioned outside the upper teeth)
- Midlines difference between upper and lower front teeth
- Premature loss of baby teeth without space maintainer care
- Clicking or popping jaw joints
- Jaw opening-closing: zig-zagging/deviated instead of straight-smooth
Early recognition and intervention carries the following life-long benefits:
- Avoiding extraction of permanent teeth or jaw surgery
- Getting quality sleep and feeling energetic
- Growing into full potential
- Preventing cranial-dental-TMJ problems and associated costs
- Living a healthy and enjoyable life with far fewer health complications